Established as the East Pakistan
Agricultural University on 18 August 1961, BAU evolved to present name in
1972. Agricultural University was established to provide facilities for
higher education and research work in Agriculture and all its branches.
The University is 4 kilometer south of the Mymensingh town and occupied
1200 Acres areas by the side of Old Brahamputra river. It consists of 6
faculties and 41 departments. Among them, 8 departments belong the faculty
of Veterinary Science, 15 belong to Agriculture, 5 belong to Animal
Husbandry, 5 belong to Ari-Econ & Rural Sociology, 4 belong to Agri-Engineering
& Technology and 4 belong to Fisheries faculty.
Around 90 different research
projects are now in progress under the supervision of BAU Research System
Moreover, there are some other
academic & research components associated with the University, which
are: Graduate Training Institute, Committee for Advance Studies and
Research (CASR) and Bangladesh Agricultural University Research System (BAURES).