News  |  Sports  |  Web Resources  |  Yellow Pages  |  Bangladesh

Chat  |  Immigration  |  E-cards  |  Horoscope Music  |  Free Advertising

Matrimonial  |  Weather  |  Bulletin Board  |  Photo Gallery  |  Dhaka Today

Travel  |  Business World  |  Women's World  |  Entertainment Education

Home > Immigration and Visa Information > US Immigration > Temporary Visas




US Immigration

Canada Immigration

Australia Immigration

Japan Immigration


Web Links




US Immigration



Educational Visas

Employment Options






Temporary Visas

A person who is permitted to enter the United States on a temporary basis is known as a nonimmigrant. Generally, it is much more difficult to obtain a Green Card or be permitted to enter as a legal permanent resident or immigrant.

There are many temporary-entry classifications. Each has a special purpose with a unique criteria and qualification process. Each is identified by a letter of the alphabet ranging from A to S. There are also special classifications such as TN (for NAFTA) and NATO. Each has its own processing rules which must be followed carefully.

The temporary classifications break down into several groups such as visitors, students, business professionals and extraordinary or internationally-recognized persons and foreign government representatives. Each group contains several individual classifications with their own criteria and process to follow. For example, a visitor for pleasure may receive and automatic six month entry while a skilled professional may be admitted for an initial period of three years. Only two classifications specifically permit a person to hold temporary status and apply for a Green Card at the same time; both are in the Business Professionals group. Also, only certain classifications permit an alien to enter to work.

If temporary employment is involved and, before an INS petition may be processed, Department of Labor clearance is usually required. This is called either Labor Certification or Labor Condition Application depending on the classification. This labor clearance may require an employer to demonstrate that there are no U.S. workers available and willing to do the job.

In the case of some H-1B applications, it is not necessary to demonstrate that qualified U.S. workers are unavailable, although the employer must attest that the alien will be paid at least the going rate for the job, that he or she is fully qualified, that the hiring is not related to a strike or lockout, that other employees are advised of the hiring and so on. However, employers who have an H-1B workforce which is above certain limits must follow a much stricter set of rules including ensuring that qualified U.S. workers are not available. These employers who are called H-1B-dependent employers, are also subject to severe penalties if they fail to follow the rules.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS requires the filing of an application or petition in many cases such as for those wishing to work, marry, attend university or college, vacation, work for a foreign government or obtain asylum or refugee status. The INS role is to ensure that an intended nonimmigrant is qualified for entry. In some cases application is made at the U.S. Port of Entry while in other cases it is filed at an INS office in the U.S. or at a consulate abroad.

Although the INS petition is filed in the United States, notice of approval is usually sent to the U.S. Department of State's Embassy or Consulate in the alien's home country where an interview may take place and a visa is issued. The final step is to take the visa to a U.S. Port of Entry where the alien will examined and may be admitted for a specific period of time and given status in a pre-determined classification.

If an alien is in the United States in some legal status, processing may be carried out without leaving the country.

After receiving permission to enter on a temporary basis, an alien must always remain "In Status." A nonimmigrant must not stay beyond the end of the approved period of stay without getting an extension or obtaining status in another classification. Nonimmigrants, like immigrants should learn and follow the rules for maintaining status in their specific classification.

Copyright Bangla2000. All Rights Reserved.
About Us  |  Legal Notices Advertisement