News  |  Sports  |  Web Resources  |  Yellow Pages  |  Bangladesh

Chat  |  Immigration  |  E-cards  |  Horoscope Music  |  Free Advertising

Matrimonial  |  Weather  |  Bulletin Board  |  Photo Gallery  |  Dhaka Today

Travel  |  Business World  |  Women's World  |  Entertainment Education

Home > Immigration and Visa Information > US Immigration > Employment Options




US Immigration

Canada Immigration

Australia Immigration

Japan Immigration


Web Links




US Immigration



Educational Visas

Temporary Visas








Employment Options

Aliens who are not legal permanent residents must obtain permission before working in the United States. They may apply for permission to enter to accept employment in either a temporary or permanent immigration classification. Others, such as students who are already living temporarily in the United States, may apply for permission to work under the terms of their immigration classification or change to another classification. In all cases, permission to work must be received before starting to work.

As a general rule, an alien living outside the United States who wishes to work temporarily in the U.S., must first get a job offer from a U.S. employer. It is the employer who starts the paperwork. In many cases, such as with an H-1B, the employer will file for labor clearance with the Department of Labor, then file a petition with the INS. Following INS approval, processing is transferred to a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. Entry is permitted for a limited period based on the premise that the job is of a temporary nature. Most classifications permit renewals to not more than six years.

There are a number of classifications which permit employment and each has its own criteria and a process which must be strictly adhered to. Some, such as student classifications, may permit employment in connection with the student's studies.

Depending on the classification, the conditions may involve a determination that a U.S. worker is not being displaced and workers are in short supply in the location concerned. This is particularly true in H-1B petitions where the employer has a proportionately large share of the workforce employed as H-1Bs and is deemed to be an H-1B-dependent employer. In all cases, it is expected that the alien is qualified and not paid below the local going rate.

There are several other available classifications for business professionals as well as internationally-acclaimed persons, foreign government representatives and specialized workers. However, only two temporary classifications permit the foreign worker to be actively seeking a Green Card while working in a temporary capacity. These are Business professionals (H-1B) and Intra-company Transferees (L-1).

It is usually a shorter and easier process to obtain permission to enter for work in a temporary classification than to obtain a Green Card to live and work permanently in the United States.

If permanent entry is approved, a Green Card, renewable after ten years, is issued. This is generally a long process involving, in some cases, Department of Labor or INS Labor Certification. Approval of an INS petition is always required. If the applicant is living outside the United states, a visa must be issued by the abroad followed by approved entry by the INS at a U.S. port of entry. Each step must be taken in sequence as a pre-condition of advancing to the next step. The requirements for supporting documentation are extensive and must be followed very precisely, according to the requirements of the classification or preference concerned.

There are special exceptions for internationally acclaimed aliens and those with special skills in great demand.


Copyright Bangla2000. All Rights Reserved.
About Us  |  Legal Notices Advertisement