News  |  Sports  |  Web Resources  |  Yellow Pages  |  Bangladesh

Chat  |  Immigration  |  E-cards  |  Horoscope Music  |  Free Advertising

Matrimonial  |  Weather  |  Bulletin Board  |  Photo Gallery  |  Dhaka Today

Travel  |  Business World  |  Women's World  |  Entertainment Education

Home > Immigration and Visa Information > US Immigration > Educational Visas




US Immigration

Canada Immigration

Australia Immigration

Japan Immigration


Web Links




US Immigration



Temporary Visas

Employment Options







Educational Visas


Foreign students may enter the United States to study and teachers to teach if they qualify.

Students enter in temporary status with a limit on their stay which usually corresponds to the length of the course.

Generally, students enter following acceptance by the institution, approval by the State Department Embassy or Consulate abroad and clearance by the INS at a U.S. port of entry.

A student must prove the availability of adequate funding for the complete period of study without the necessity to earn money from U.S. employment. However, students may seek limited employment in certain circumstances during and after their period of study. This employment may be on-campus. However, if it is off-campus, it must usually be related to their course of study. Prior permission must always be obtained from the Designated School Officer (DSO) and sometimes by the INS. Except in special circumstances, such as for certain Asian students whose home country currency has been devalued, it cannot be to supplement the financing of their school and living expenses.

Students generally enter in one of three temporary educational classifications. These are:

F - Academic Student - the most flexible student status which enables students with financial support to take full advantage of the U.S. educational process while providing the possibility of limited access to career-oriented employment opportunities.

J- USIA Exchange Visitor - the most complex student classification which permits students with limited resources to participate in a program which until 1999 has been administered by the United States Information Agency. Responsibility is moving to the Department of State not later than October 1, 1999. If funding comes from the student's home country or the United States, there is usually a requirement that the student return home after graduation and practice the newly-acquired skills for two years. This requirement applies especially to medical students.

M - Non-academic Student - the least formal student status which permits students to obtain vocational training, non-academic schooling or schooling in a language other than English.

Teachers and Professors

Green Cards may be available to teachers and professors who are highly skilled and in demand but it is usually easier to obtain permission to enter in a temporary classification.

Unless the applicant is an exceptional or internationally-acclaimed professor, it is likely that either temporary or permanent entry will require the prior approval of the Department of Labor before INS and State Department processing may be started.

A college or university teacher or professor entering temporarily will be processed in the H-1B classification. However, permanent entry will be under Employment-Based First Preference (Outstanding Professor or Researcher) or Second Preference (College or University Teacher) status.



Copyright Bangla2000. All Rights Reserved.
About Us  |  Legal Notices Advertisement