News  |  Sports  |  Web Resources  |  Yellow Pages  |  Bangladesh

Chat  |  Immigration  |  E-cards  |  Horoscope Music  |  Free Advertising

Matrimonial  |  Weather  |  Bulletin Board  |  Photo Gallery  |  Dhaka Today

Travel  |  Business World  |  Women's World  |  Entertainment Education

Home > Immigration and Visa Information > Australian Immigration > Visa Information




US Immigration

Canada Immigration

Australia Immigration

Japan Immigration


Web Links


Australian Immigration


Travelers' Information

Study in Australia

Family Migration


Visa Information 


General visa requirements

Anyone who is not an Australian citizen needs a valid visa/Electronic Travel Authority (ETA - see below) to enter and spend time in Australia.


Before traveling to Australia

With the exception of New Zealand citizens traveling on New Zealand passports, all foreign nationals must obtain a visa/ETA before traveling to Australia. (New Zealand citizens are issued with a visa on arrival in Australia.)

Visas are available from Australian visa offices such as Australian Embassies, High Commissions and Consulates. They are also available, in ETA form, from travel agents and airlines in certain countries.


Please note that:

  • airlines may refuse to allow travelers to board their aircraft without valid visas/ETAs and passports;

  • it is recommended that intending visitors first obtain a visa/ETA before purchasing airline tickets, Olympic and Paralympic tickets, or entering into any other financial commitments dependent upon entry to Australia;

  • Visas/ETAs are issued subject to a range of conditions; and

  • tourists are not allowed to work during their visit to Australia. Penalties apply to tourists who breach this 'no work' condition.


Types of visas

The type of visa you will need depends on how long you wish to stay in Australia and what you want to do during your stay.

Short Stay Visas (for up to 3 months). Australia provides short stay visas in two forms - the Electronic Travel Authority and the non-electronic 'label' visa, as described below.


Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

An ETA is an electronically stored authority to travel to Australia for a short stay and no visa label is placed in the passport.


ETAs are available from participating travel agencies when making travel arrangements, or though participating airlines, as well as at Australia visa offices overseas.


ETAs are available to holders of the following passports approved for ETA: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, AUK-British Citizen, UK-British National (overseas), USA and the Vatican.

Note that holders of Taiwan passports can only be processed for an ETa if resident in and applying in Taiwan. Holders of UK passports which indicate their nationality to be British National (overseas) cannot be processed for an ETA by a travel agent or airline outside Hong Kong.


ETAs are available for tourism and short stay business purposes. Tourist ETAs and short validity, single entry business ETAs, are free of any Government charge. There is a charge for long validity business entry ETAs.


Non-electronic 'label' visas

If you do not hold a passport approved for ETA, you will need to apply for a 'label' visa. There are two main types of short stay 'label' visas.


Tourist visas - usually provide for a stay of up to 3 months on each visit. However, in limited circumstances it is possible to obtain a tourist visa for a stay of more than 3 months. A tourist visa does not permit you to work in Australia. A non-refundable Australian Government application fee is charged.


Short stay business visas - provide for a stay in Australia of up to 3 months for business purposes. This visa allows you to take part in meetings or conferences on behalf of your business in your home country, and also allows you to take part in some short-term projects or events. If in doubt, the purpose of the visit should be discussed with the Australian visa office overseas. A non-refundable Australian Government application fee is charged.


Temporary residence visas

The business ETA and visa is available to people intending to come to Australia temporarily to undertake some highly-skilled activities involving very short term projects or events. This applies only to visits of up to 3 months.


For people wanting to come to Australia for more than 3 months, there is a range of temporary residence visas available. Sponsorship from an Australian organization or prospective employer may be required. There are temporary residence visas available to cover the following:


  • sport - for amateur or professional sport people with an established reputation in their field of sport, who have been invited to take part in competitions or training programs or undertake coaching;

  • media and film staff - for correspondents and other professional media staff posted to Australia by overseas news organizations, and photographers and film and television teams making documentaries or commercials exclusively for overseas markets; 

  • entertainment/cultural - for people involved in the entertainment industry and in cultural events and activities. The need to protect the employment of Australians in the industry is taken into account when visa grant is considered;

  • study - for people who want to undertake registered courses on a full-time basis; 

  • working holiday maker (WHM) - for young people from countries with which Australia has reciprocal WHM agreements, who wish to holiday in Australia for an extended period and to supplement their funds through incidental work;

  • employment - for employers to recruit key personnel and overcome temporary skilled labor shortages. 

For further visa and entry information, please contact an
Australian visa office or visit the website


Visa expiry

Don't overstay your visa! If your visa is about to expire, you should leave Australia or seek advice from a Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs office.





Copyright Bangla2000. All Rights Reserved.
About Us  |  Legal Notices Advertisement