bangla2000 Home • b2k Interactive  Home • all   bulletins New Members Sign Up b2k Members Sign In
Saturday, October 21, 2017 BD

Groups
Anything Group

Bulletins Participate in the Bulletin
Enter Your Opinion
Click to add Emoticons.
blush confused cool cry eek frown biggrin
evilgrin supergrin kiss lol smile love mad
redface rolleyes sweat tongue trippy winky alien
devil happy indifferent nerd ohwell sick tired

Bulletins Bulletin : Published and Discussed
Date: Sunday, February 24, 2002
Subject:
Religion & Women Development
Description:

Can religion be a positive force in the development process?? What would be its effect on women’s rights – how sustainable can such an experience be?

People Discussion
m zaman
(Sunday, February 24, 2002)

surely it was in the past. And I think the meaning of development has changed now a days. And also the concept of religion (Islam) has rotten. So what we get is far from the ideality.

kumropotash

Religion is the creation of humans and depending on who is in power, it will assume different roles. In male dominated societies, religion has been used to suppress women. Had it been the other way round, religion would have been used to suppress men. Right now, people with religious power are not in a position to contribute positively to development because they tend to restrict the possession and use of such power for their own interests as well as for the interest of their own religions which goes against the fundamental concepts of peace, prosperity, openness and equality.

pardeshi

Yes religion can do that.In US every Church,Temple and Mosque are involve in their community.Islam has direction for us,for every part of our life.We people don't follow it properly.Instead of taking all the positive from it some of us use it to fulfill our own wish.Like our prophet married four woman so he can help them and some muslim made it a part of religion.Some people also become critic of the holy book without understanding it. One has to read all its explanations and try to understand it.Some people who has no knowledge or understanding about religion but they are stupid enough to show disrespect to something so divine that even knowledgeabe non muslim wouldn't show.
Its all depends how people use religion.In the middle east they punish people with rules that was appropriate then and should be change now.We have the direction for us,how we follow it is upto us.God gave us brain and we should use it for greater good to our people.

kumropotash

“God gave us brain and we should use it for greater good to our people.” Clearly we are not doing that! Why does not god interfere? Does god lack the power to do so? Or is it that god is a sadist who likes to watch innocent people die in religious wars?

neel
(Monday, February 25, 2002)

we gotta know what actually womens developement is! its a relatively complex idea...such as beauty...a beauty in africa..is not a beauty in asia..so what u really mean by developement...if it that what is considered as developement..than may be it will not help at all..

pardeshi

He is not going to interfere as we know judgement day is waiting for all of us.Ignorant people can make any comment,it only proves lack of their knowledge and understanding about the divine power,the almighty god.This people has no respect for anything or they are just stupid to realize what more than one fourth of the world population has realized.We should be careful about what we say in a public forum as a courtesy to others.

kumropotash

Logic, not blind belief, should guide us.

kumropotash

Pardeshi how do you know that god is a "He?" Because women are “less strong physically,” you cannot picture “the divine power” as being female?

Rony Salman

Kumro, Pardeshi addressed god as ‘He’, cause, that is the conventional way to address god. At the same time it is clearly stated in Islam that god is neither a man, nor a woman! Religion is completely based on belief, and we, Bangladeshi Muslims have a very strong belief in the religion irrespective of how much or less we carryout the religious duties (prayer, fasting, etc.) or rituals. So, being a very delicate issue, a misconception or misunderstanding might ignite severe repercussion!

RANA RAHMAN

It is need less to say religion and development are different issues and you did not mention which one Islam or christ or buddiest , you know christ has lots of program to ensure women rights even in Islam , actually we are not using the properly thats why the problem is creating .I am not trying to impose myself on you, but I do agree with M zaman,

kumropotash

I agree that “Religion is completely based on belief.” Unfortunately religious minded people often try to impose their beliefs on others (true in case of all the religions). What happened on September 11 was a partial reflection of that. Just as religious people have their rights to espouse their beliefs personally, people who don’t believe in religion also have the right not to give way to a belief not supported by logic. The moment one speaks about religion in public (e.g., on a web bulletin board), one makes religion open to criticism. Anyone can believe in any religion and follow it personally. I won’t mind as long as the activities of the religious person are not affecting me directly or indirectly. I am afraid any attempt to justify religion in public will meet with my counter arguments.

kumropotash

If it is clearly stated in islam that god is neither a man, nor a woman – why is it conventional to address god as “He?” Could it be because religion was devised and manipulated by men?

kumropotash

Correct me if I am wrong RANA RAHMAN but is not it true that islam says, “purush narir upor kortrittokari” (sura an-nisa?)?

cactus of-morubhumi
(Tuesday, February 26, 2002)

ma o to ekjon nari kumro . islam to atao bole je jnnat mayer payer niche .

Fazle alam babu

dharma(islam)narike purusher upore stan dieche.islame protiti nor/nari r jonnay biddarjon foroz(oboshay paloniyo kortobba)kora hoyeche.jehetu gan(knowledge) i shokol prokar unnatir prodhan hatiar sehetu bolar opkkha rakhena je dharma nari unnatir sohayak.

bd_KonkaBoti

Kumro, I kind of agree with your point of view. However, we are talking about women's development and empowerment here, and we have to remember that if we want to fight against Riligion, how we will go on doing this?Riligion is the most important sentiment for people, specially in a country like Bangladesh. So the question is, is it absulately important to go againset religion to promote women's empowerment? if yes, then is it going to be possible?? is it going to be sustainable?

My argument is, it is much more effective if we can use religion as apositive force for women's development. look at the family planning in Bangladesh. We are successful in this movement because eventually we got support from the Riligious institutions for this. Which made a big diffference.

kumropotash

cactus of-morubhumi, a mother-child relationship is not the same as husband-wife relationship. If
you triangulate the 2 statements, it will imply that in a household, the
children are at the bottom, then the wife and then the husband. The husband
still gets to dominate the wife. Moreover, this topic was discussed before
with respect to the glorification of women. Fazle alam babu, what you said
sounded nice but in reality, it’s not like that. I won’t talk about
Afghanistan where education for women was banned but even in Bangladesh,
women are still less privileged in terms of education. Yes I agree with you bd_KonkaBoti.
The existence of deep-seated religious influence cannot be ignored in a
country like Bangladesh and any social campaign is more likely to succeed if
it works with existing religious bodies. Hopefully when people become
enlightened and empowered, they will make their own decisions regarding
religion.

pardeshi

Religion is a big part of life for people in USA,too.More than 90% of the population believes in God.So,its not countries like Bangladesh only,people of the most modern nations like US also beieves in Relidion.Believing in something is positive,by telling the world that you don,t doesn't make someone better than the majority of the people of the world.
Kanka,family planning is successful in Bangladesh.We have a smaller growth than those of India and Pakistan.In 1971,Pakistan had 20,000000 million less population than us,now they have 20,000000 million more than us.If you want to talk about obstacle,lets talk about education.An educated mother will change everything in Bangladesh.And make it what all of us want her to be.
Like,I said before religion can play an important role in womans development,but we need educated people to take part in the process.Not someone who reads the holy book without knowing the meaning of it.

pardeshi

I can't explain everything about Islam.Here is a website for California state university dominguez hills:http://dominguezonline.csudh.edu.If you like to know about Islam,you can attend the class as a guest or you can inroll in the class.You can ask question online or by calling.The other night they had Mr,Munir(doing his Phd in UCLA in Islamic studies) from Bangladesh,I felt proud to be a Banladeshi for him.I mean the way he explain Islam and answer question was extraordinary.So know first then criticize.

kumropotash
(Wednesday, February 27, 2002)

If you can’t explain everything about islam, you should have given the link long before! Thanks for the link anyway. I would like to discuss this issue with someone who can talk logically as opposed to being driven by blind beliefs!

kumropotash

"Gunmen attack Pakistani mosque!" Mention the devil and the devil is there!

Rony Salman

Come on Kumro, I think you are taking it too hard on Pardeshi!! He is only depicting the ideas most common and familiar in Bangladesh. Give him a break!

Fazle alam babu

Dear Potash shudhu matro ekti desh die dharmo ke bichar korle to hobena.Afganistane narishikkha bondho kora hoyeche sheta to dharmer dosh noy- prithibite shorbakalei dhrmer name shecchacharita hoyeche,Afganistaner beparta o serokom.Bangladeshe cheleder jonya prathomic shikkha oboitonik kintu meyeder jonya (gramanchole) oshtom srenee porjonto oboitonik(boi free)ekhon uccha madhomik porjonto oboitonik korar chinta bhabna cholche.

bd_KonkaBoti

pordesi, having a discussion about an issue is not bad. In islam it's call "Fikah". We actually know little about islam and rights, opportunity and status given to women by it. Most of the time what we experience about this topic is some "MEN" made wrong explanations and quranic references which servs men's interests. few half educated men could do it, because we don't talk about this, we don't ask questions, we don't seek answers, and true and real Quranic explanations. I appreciate points you made. I also believe, it's better to consider religin as a positive force for omen's development. However, I also agree with Kumro's ponints. His points encourage one to learn more about islam and women. thanks for your link. here is another link. It could be extremely useful if anyone interested about the topic. the link ishttp://www.mwlusa.org

pardeshi

Talikg about it on the net won't do any good.We have to go out there and educate people.Our number one problem is lack of education.
I had a teacher in Cadeet Collage who told us '90% of Islam is about how you spend your day and the rest 10% of it is about prayer.This is the reason I said,yes Islam can be a part of womens development.We talked a lot about it,lets do something about it.Please see my new massage,thanks.

Copyright © Bangla2000. All Rights Reserved.
About Us  |  Legal Notices  |  Contact for Advertisement