bangla2000 Home • b2k Interactive  Home • all   bulletins New Members Sign Up b2k Members Sign In
Thursday, October 19, 2017 BD

Groups
b2k - odds and evens Group

Bulletins Participate in the Bulletin
Enter Your Opinion
Click to add Emoticons.
blush confused cool cry eek frown biggrin
evilgrin supergrin kiss lol smile love mad
redface rolleyes sweat tongue trippy winky alien
devil happy indifferent nerd ohwell sick tired

Bulletins Bulletin : Published and Discussed
Date: Monday, December 08, 2003
Subject:
" THE WOMAN BREAKING BRICKS "
Description:

...."a brick that cannot be broken, by the sun's heat, an underfed stomach, a dreaming heart"....I am not familiar with Taslima Nasrin’s work, but came across this poem which I liked, so I thought some of you might enjoy it also..

THE WOMAN BREAKING BRICKS
Taslima Nasrin

The woman, breaking bricks and sitting on a sidewalk,
wears a red sari as she breaks the bricks, under the burning sun, breaks the bricks,
the bronze coloured woman breaks the bricks.
Twenty-one? But she has seven children back home, looks forty up,
and all day for ten taka, not enough to buy food for one, let alone seven,
she breaks the brick. every day, breaks the bricks.

Seated beside her, resting under an umbrella, a man is breaking bricks,
all day long breaking bricks,
a shaded man who earns twenty a day breaking the bricks.
Of what does he dream, the man breaking the bricks,
the man sitting under an umbrella, breaking the bricks?

And of what does she dream, the woman breaking the bricks?
She has a dream, a dream of having an umbrella,
of breaking the bricks veiled from the sun,
of becoming a man one fine morning,
earning double for breaking the bricks.

Her dream is her dream,
but in the morning she is still a woman breaking the bricks,
no umbrella, not even a torn one, breaking the bricks under the burning sun.

New roads and tall towers are built with the bricks she broke,
but the roof on her house was blown away in last year's storm,
the water drips through her tent, and she has a dream about buying a tin roof.

Her dream is her dream,
but in the morning her tent is soaked with water.
So she shouts out to her neighbors, to the world,
I have a dream, I have a dream. But still no umbrella, still no tin roof.

Look, neighbors say, her seven children are hungry,
she needs oil for her hair, powder for her face,
her skin colour darkens daily,
her fingers harden, harden like the bricks they are breaking.

So with her hammer she continues, continues breaking the bricks,
becoming herself a brick, a brick that cannot be broken
by the sun's heat, an underfed stomach, a dreaming heart

People Discussion
dark_angel
(Monday, December 08, 2003)

taslima nasrin ke niye ekhon onek alochona hocche potro potrikai....ai poem ta likha hoyeche amader desher jeshob nari nirjajito tader niyee....ekhono amader desher onek nari esp grame tader mullo pai na...lathi guta kheye tara beche ache.....taader shongram mone hoi na konodin sesh hobe...

dark_angel

nice posting

jaceco

Aha, plain English at work I see !! Simplistic, yet the harsh reality is portrayed quite well. Nice poem, thanks for sharing it with us.

ssswamje

kobita valoo..ekta sottikarer chitra tule dhora hoyechhe.thanks ima for sharing with us

ontora ..

i ,m not familiar with Taslima NAsrin ,s writing...but this one "the women breaking bricks" really nice ......becoming herself a brick, a brick that cannot be broken
by the sun's heat, an underfed stomach, a dreaming heart
....yet the harsh reality is portrayed quite well.why life is like that ..take apuuuuuu...lots of love n wishes for u..exam kemon holo tomar?/

ontora ..

take care*

ArospO

Know and Saw this type of Picture from our childhood Ima jee, the diff is she could write it and We( I) could not, but feelings still the same for those who suffers everyday.
Nice writing Taslima Nasrina dn nice post Ima Jee

Hey, on a diff note where haveu been these days??? Haven't seen you in B2k in million years..What happened??

ima

My dearest fiery and misty apu adn lombu jee, ello. Mistu apy my first exam went well, I have my last two exams coming up. So please pray for me. Fiery apu, I have been isolating myself in my lil corner is the Library, slaving away with my studies. I did come to b2k yesterday but tumar shate dekha hoy nai since it was the weekend. amader bashai'r pc is playing up, so beshi shomoi thakte pari nai..i got dc after 5 min. But fiery apu, I will be insha Allah coming to NY in March. Nearer the time I will let u know all the details. Perhaps I can indulge u to a lunch date with moi?? How does that sound? Hope u guys are ok. I will speak to u guys very soon insha Allah. Until then make sure to take care of yourselves.

Lombuu jeeee..hope u are ok too..do let me know when u are coming to London..

dark_angel

ai kobitai amader narider niya ekta shotto kotha tule dhora hoyeche....i again thank ima sis for a nice post....accha kobita ta pela kotha thekhe ima????

ima

dark_angel...or arro oneek poem ache.... google ey search korlei pabe..i got it from this site ..http://www.worldnewsbank.com/..ifu scroll down u will see "new voice"..section..oi khane taslima nasrin ey click korlei pabe or oneek kobita..!!

-Gemini-

Onek realistic ekta posting Ima...
Ami choto belae school theke ashar pothe erokom ekta mohila ke dekhtam prai roj...ek rashi bhanga eet er tukror pashe boshe eet bhangto shey..but she had an umbrealla..unlike the lady in the poem...an old,torn umbrella...
Tokhon ami oneekk chotto chilam..tobu ektu ektu mone ache tak e ekhono...tomar ei posting ta dekhe hotath kore manosh-pote tar chhobi bheshe uthlo aaj oneekk oneekkk din pore....

sarah

struggle without a reward....maybe you can count that "ten taka" as a reward but that is nothing in comparison to her hard work ..the labour she puts just to break the bricks.."a brick that cannot be broken, by the sun's heat.." i think this line symbolises the fact even after all this struggle ..the dream "of becoming a man one fine morning,
" will still remain to be a dream because " a brick cannot be broken, by the suns heat"...very nice imapu..and dear check ure mail ..there are surprises waiting for u

sun_glass

kobita ta kono shopno ba vabna noy, bd'r kothin bastob chitro. kintu apnara ki janen, bd theke paliye ai lekhika india te asroy niyeche? nijer deshe tar jaiga holona.... tar shamprotik prokashito "ka" grontho bd te ban kora hoyeche .....
ki shundor odvut amader ai shonar desh

dark_angel

hmm.....odbhut khubhi odvut.....ima apu thanx for the url....

-crOss-
(Tuesday, December 09, 2003)

Hmm, Jonmo Hoyar por ai shomostho manush gulu amar ashe pasher manush, ader niye Likha ta besh..!!
Kintu ai T. Nasrin ar shob kichu te ami agree noi, I am totally confused aby her.
Onek gulu bOi, abong recently jeta KO. otar o kichu part porlam, then aro kicu Alochona-Shomalochona porlam, ai T Nasrin k niye, so, ai mohila k amar aktu onno rokom e mone hoi, Mane Proverb ache "Beshi Bhalo , Bhalo Na" amnti..
Nway, thanks for it..Kobita tate shotti kothai ache....ja ghotche, ghote...

-crOss-

also thanks for URL...
take very gUd carE..

ArospO

Ima Jeee, this is infact a breaking news..Looking forward to our date!

Sb

sun_glass nijer desh e tar jayga na howar karon ache kichu... shei gulo te alokpat korlen na?

Copyright © Bangla2000. All Rights Reserved.
About Us  |  Legal Notices  |  Contact for Advertisement